The project PLA4COFFEE completed with great SUCCESS!
- Realization of biodegradable and bio-based formulations able to meet product requirements and ensure good processability by compression and injection molding.
- Realization of prototypes of biodegradable and bio-based coffee capsules on pre-industrial scale by injection and compression molding.
- Final recipe and process optimization permitted to reduce costs by at least 20% vs market costs, while performances have been maintained equal or dramatically improved by a 20 times factor (oxygen barrier)
- Brewing tests to finalize the very last step of a good coffee experience.
PLA coffee capsule: from non engineered to high performance solutions (weight of the person 85 Kg)
Benefits of the new PLA4COFFEE capsules
1. Biodegradable and bio-based according to US and EU Industrial composability regulations
2. No recourse to nano-materials that can be dangerous for health and environment (no working regulations in EU27)
3. Suitable for food contact and/or safe for humans and environments
4. High biobased content >96%
5. Easy to process compound (extrusion; injection, compression and stretch blow molding; sheet polymer forming; thermoforming; fibers, foams …)
6. Tough and thermally stable (up to 150°C)
7. Mechanical performances: Elastic Modulus (> 4.0 GPa); Elongation at break (>10.0%); Flexural strength (> 100 MPa); Flexural Modulus (> 5 GPa); Tensile Strength (> 60 MPa)
Future dissemination actions
- Maintenance and periodic updating of the Project Website https://pla4coffee.wordpress.com
- Attendance of International Fairs and Congresses to disseminate information material about the project and to meet stakeholders
1. Aroma System s.r.l. (Project coordinator)
2. API Applicazioni Plastiche Industriali SpA (Associated Beneficiary)
3. Tor Vergata University of Rome (Associated Beneficiary)
4. Institute for Polymers, Composites and Biomaterials (IPCB) of the National Research Council (CNR) of Italy (Associated Beneficiary)
Title: LIFE PLA4COFFEE
Reference Number: LIFE 14 ENV/IT/000744
Duration: 16/07/2015 – 15/01/2018
Total Budget: 2.502.695 €
With the contribution of the LIFE financial instrument of the European Community
Contact person: Dr. Russo Pietro on +39 338 8308815 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org